Monday, May 31, 2010

Coffeemate Creamer is not Dairy-Free

Beware of coffeemate "non dairy" creamer, it does contain a milk product. I found this one out the hard way. I looked at the label and assumed that non-dairy meant that there would be no dairy products in the creamer. I had the creamer a couple days in a row and began to see my nursing baby, who is allergic to dairy, have a skin reaction. I couldn't be live it. The culprit--sodium caseinate, a milk derivative. This is listed in the ingredients on the back of coffeemate liquid creamer, however I was naive and trusted the words "non dairy" on the front. How misleading. Of course it is my responsibility to read every ingredient and apparently non-dairy does not mean dairy-free.


Here are the ingredients in Coffeemate's "Non Dairy" Hazelnut Liquid Creamer:
Water, Sugar, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and/or Cotton-Seed Oil, Sodium Caseinate (a Milk Derivative), Dipotassium Phosphate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Polysorbate 60, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Carrageenan, Beta-Carotene Color.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Isn't it frustrating? I was dairy-free when my youngest was nursing and got so sick of reading labels (actually I was top-8 free so I gave up on packaged food). Now, she is celiac so reading labels is critical, and I still almost glutened her the other day with pasta made with artichoke flour, because I missed the little "and semolina flour" tiny print on the box...sigh...thanks for posting this. It answered my question exactly.

    ReplyDelete